Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to Combine two cells (numbers) but not add

I have column A of cells containing three digit numbers in each cell.
In column B, I have the same thing cells with three digit numbers.
I would like to combine these two numbers into a six digit number.
How can this be done?

Also, in column B there are several cells with a zero value, so a blank is
displayed. How can I make the zero values into three digits or can I leave
the zero value as a blank and not affect the six digit number I want to
create?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The first bit is straightforward

=A1&B1

I don't understand the second bit please post an example of column A & B and
the output you require in Column C.

Mike

"evoxfan" wrote:

I have column A of cells containing three digit numbers in each cell.
In column B, I have the same thing cells with three digit numbers.
I would like to combine these two numbers into a six digit number.
How can this be done?

Also, in column B there are several cells with a zero value, so a blank is
displayed. How can I make the zero values into three digits or can I leave
the zero value as a blank and not affect the six digit number I want to
create?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe this:

=TEXT(A1,"000")&TEXT(B1,"000")

Note that this returns a *text string*, not a numeric number.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"evoxfan" wrote in message
I have column A of cells containing three digit numbers in each cell.
In column B, I have the same thing cells with three digit numbers.
I would like to combine these two numbers into a six digit number.
How can this be done?

Also, in column B there are several cells with a zero value, so a blank is
displayed. How can I make the zero values into three digits or can I
leave
the zero value as a blank and not affect the six digit number I want to
create?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the help, that works great on most all of the cells.

Here is an example of where it does don work:
A1=190
B1=0
C1=A1&B1=1900

I would like C1=190000, but in order to do that I assume B1 has to have
three digits. So how can I make B1 have three digits in this case?

"evoxfan" wrote:

I have column A of cells containing three digit numbers in each cell.
In column B, I have the same thing cells with three digit numbers.
I would like to combine these two numbers into a six digit number.
How can this be done?

Also, in column B there are several cells with a zero value, so a blank is
displayed. How can I make the zero values into three digits or can I leave
the zero value as a blank and not affect the six digit number I want to
create?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I forgot to add this works for both so use this instead of the first formula

Mike

"Mike H" wrote:

Maybe

=IF(B2<0,A2&B2,A2&"000")

Mike

"evoxfan" wrote:

I have column A of cells containing three digit numbers in each cell.
In column B, I have the same thing cells with three digit numbers.
I would like to combine these two numbers into a six digit number.
How can this be done?

Also, in column B there are several cells with a zero value, so a blank is
displayed. How can I make the zero values into three digits or can I leave
the zero value as a blank and not affect the six digit number I want to
create?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the feedback!

--