Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to reverse code data (1=5, 2=4, etc.)?

I have data sets in only certain columns of my spread sheet that need to be
reverse coded, i.e. 1=5, 2=4, 3=3, 4=2, 5=1 . How do I get these new values
in Excel?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to reverse code data (1=5, 2=4, etc.)?

  1. Identify the column(s) that need to be reverse coded.
  2. Insert a new column next to the column(s) that need to be reverse coded.
  3. In the first cell of the new column, enter the following formula:
    Code:
    =6-A1
    (assuming the original values are in column A).
  4. Copy the formula down to all the cells in the new column that correspond to the original data set.
  5. Select the entire new column and copy it.
  6. Right-click on the original column that needs to be reverse coded and select "Paste Special".
  7. In the "Paste Special" dialog box, select "Values" and "Multiply" options, then click "OK".

This will replace the original values with their reverse-coded counterparts in the selected column(s). You can then delete the new column that you created in step 2.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the data is sorted (or can be) by the column with those numbers, then:

1. Sort the records by the column with numbers that need changing. This
will get all of the 1's together, and all the 2's together, etc.
2. Then highlight the 1's.
3. Press 5 then CTRL+ENTER. This places a 5 in all of the cells that had a
1.
4. Repeat for the other numbers that need to be swapped.
5. Resort if needed after all the changes are made.

"jhk150" wrote:

I have data sets in only certain columns of my spread sheet that need to be
reverse coded, i.e. 1=5, 2=4, 3=3, 4=2, 5=1 . How do I get these new values
in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you select the values you want to change? If yes then do the following;

1. Enter -6 in any unused cell
Edit-Copy
Select the cells you want to change
Edit-Paste Special-Add

2. Enter -1 in any unused cell
Edit-Copy
Select the cells you want to change
Edit-Paste Special-Multiply

Alternatively enter this next to the column which has the values you want to
change;
(assuming Col A, enter this in B1 and copy down)

=IF(AND(A10,A1<6),(6-A1),A1)

You can then Copy the Col, do Edit-Paste Special-Values and then delete 0s.

"jhk150" wrote:

I have data sets in only certain columns of my spread sheet that need to be
reverse coded, i.e. 1=5, 2=4, 3=3, 4=2, 5=1 . How do I get these new values
in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jhk150 -

If you have one row for each respondent, then you can use Data | Sort with
the desired column as the sort key. Each row will remain intact. Make a
backup copy of the worksheet first.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"jhk150" wrote:

I have data sets in only certain columns of my spread sheet that need
to be
reverse coded, i.e. 1=5, 2=4, 3=3, 4=2, 5=1 . How do I get these new
values
in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your data being in column A
=MAX(A:A)-A1+1
formula in a helper column reverses column A values.

Regards,
Stefi

€žjhk150€ť ezt Ă*rta: