Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel; how to delete duplicates in a long column of data??

Anybody out there that can give me a hand with this? I have a large amount of
data with duplicates. Need to be able to delete the dups without having to
manually do so. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

you could use advanced filter. select your data and click
data/filter/advanced filter, copy to another location, select a cell in an
empty column for your copy to range, and click the unique records only
checkbox.

if you're using XL2007, I'm not sure how to access the advanced filter. But
it should be there somewhere.

"red14red" wrote:

Anybody out there that can give me a hand with this? I have a large amount of
data with duplicates. Need to be able to delete the dups without having to
manually do so. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if you're using XL2007, I'm not sure how to access the advanced filter. But
it should be there somewhere.

No need to access the Advanced Filter in XL2007. This version has built in
Remove Duplicates. It is under Data tab

Select your range Data tab Remove Duplicates icon OK

"red14red" wrote:

Anybody out there that can give me a hand with this? I have a large amount of
data with duplicates. Need to be able to delete the dups without having to
manually do so. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

This all depends on how your data is layed out. And what you mean by
duplicates. Suppose you are looking at:

Are all three A's to be removed or all but 1?

Or is your data layed out like this:

A M
B C
C A
D E

In which case do you want to remove items from both columns that match or
items from one or the other column that match and what if they match multiple
times?

You may think I am quibblying but in 2007 the highlight duplicates and the
remove duplicates command work differently.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire