vachss

Default how do i turn off formulas in excel

I'm entering a 13 digit number into a cell and instead of displaying the
number typed excel converts the number into a formula. Is there a way of
turning this off so I get what I type? Thanks
CyberTaz

Hello-

Format the cells as Number, Currency, or whatever is appropriate instead of
General.

HTH |:)

"vachss" wrote:

I'm entering a 13 digit number into a cell and instead of displaying the
number typed excel converts the number into a formula. Is there a way of
turning this off so I get what I type? Thanks

David McRitchie

How does a 13 digit number appear as a formula and not as a number.

I am guessing that the answer you got was good, that you were looking
for formatting, but it would be better to be a lot more explicit when asking
a question by providing what you see and what you wanted (expected),
and how you formatted the cell. Format, cells, custom will show what
the formatting actually is.

Also make sure you are not in formula view
tools, options, calculation, calculation: automatic
Make sure that you do actually have numbers
=ISNUMBER(A1)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#debugformat
---
HTH,

"vachss" wrote:

I'm entering a 13 digit number into a cell and instead of displaying the
number typed excel converts the number into a formula. Is there a way of
turning this off so I get what I type? Thanks

Gord Dibben

David

I believe OP was getting his 13 numbers formatted to Scientific Notation.

1.23457E+12 may look like a formula to some people.

Gord

"vachss" wrote:

I'm entering a 13 digit number into a cell and instead of displaying the
number typed excel converts the number into a formula. Is there a way of
turning this off so I get what I type? Thanks

David McRitchie

Hi Gord,
In other words
"Doesn't work as expected" <grin

Thanks for the explanation, of what the poster would have seen.

"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote ...