Posted to microsoft.public.excel.querydao,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default ODBC query problem

Hi

In our firm we used in workstations MS Office 2000, where Outlook is
replaced with MS Outlook 2003, and WindowsXP with SP2 as OS.

Recently we replaced lot of computers with new ones. All new computers did
get WindowsXP with SP3 as OS, Other programs were installed as previously.

Now my problem (I tested with 3 different computers, with same result)!
When I open an excel application with existing ODBC query, it runs smoothly.
I can also edit any existing query.

When I try to make a new ODBC query, then:
Windows Installer message window opens with message "Preparing to
Install";
An empty Microsoft Query window opens;
An Microsoft Excel message window opens with message "Microsoft Query
is already running, but is not responding to Microsoft Excel. Switch to
Microsoft query and make sure there are no dialog boxes open or that
Microsoft Query is not busy retrieving data" <OK;
An Microsoft Office message 2003 window opens with message "Please wait
while Window configures Microsoft Outlook 2003;
An Mcrosoft Outlook message 2003 window opens with message "Error 2709.
An Internal Error has occurred. ({...Some long code here...})" <OK

When I then close all message windows, I'm left with an empty query window.
When I try to create a new query from there, data are not returned into
Excel, but the query wizard prompts to save the query.

When I'm really fast and manage to close opened Query window at same very
start, an Microsot Query message window opens with message "Microsoft Query
has encountered a problem and needs to close. ......." I click "Don't Send"
there, and now sometimes (probably when I was sufficiently fast) I can
create a new query on next try - but only once. With every new query I have
to repeat the process with fast closing again.

Has someone had same problem, and when yes, then is there some cure?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Arvi Laanemets

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.querydao,microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you haven't tried Help Detect and Repair in Excel 2000, it would
be worth a go. If that doesn't work, read on.

I have encountered problems with MS Query on systems with more than one
Office version installed. Did you install Office 2000 before adding
Outlook 2003? If not, I suggest removing Office 2003 and Office 2000
and starting again, installing 2000 first, checking that MS Query runs
OK, and then install Outlook 2003.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.querydao,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Tried D&R, but got an error "The installation package could not be opened.
Verify ..."
At first I thougth that it was a permissions problem (in our LAN, installing
programs is generally restricted for users, although p.e. when running MSO
programs 1st time for new user, installing is allowed), but I got same
message with my domain administrator account too.

So it looks like I have to uninstall Outlook2003, probably reinstall Outlook
2000, satrt a query from Excel, install Outlook2003 back, install all
updates anew .... and then repeat the process for other 60+ computers (we
did use cloning to install OS and main programs on all new computers). I
have to think about it jet - maybe creating a new clone and reinstalling all
computers will be better option. Or somebody has some clever idea like
changing some register entry?

Thanks anyway!
Arvi Laanemets

"Bill Manville" wrote in message

If you haven't tried Help Detect and Repair in Excel 2000, it would
be worth a go. If that doesn't work, read on.

I have encountered problems with MS Query on systems with more than one
Office version installed. Did you install Office 2000 before adding
Outlook 2003? If not, I suggest removing Office 2003 and Office 2000
and starting again, installing 2000 first, checking that MS Query runs
OK, and then install Outlook 2003.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.querydao,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Arvi Laanemets wrote:
Or somebody has some clever idea like
changing some register entry?

Sorry can't help with that one.
Good luck.
If you find a good solution, please let us know.