Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default comparing 2 columns for matches

Hi, I have 2 columns with data (lets say A and C). I want to (in another
column, say B) put a formula in that finds if a value in column A and looks
to see if there is a match in column C (not necessarily on same row). If
there is a match I want to input a value which exists in a 4th column in the
same row as the matched value in column C. e.g:

Col A Col B (formula here) Col C Col D
dog No match bear xxx
cat No match mouse vvv
mouse vvv lion xxx

So...if a value from column A exists in Col C (e.g. mouse) then in column
B i want to extract the value from col D (e.g. vvv), otherwise say 'no
match'. So both two and three.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming in your example the data is in cells A1 through D3, the following
formula should work:

=if(iserr(vLookUp($A1,$C$1:$D$3,2,false)),"No
Match",vLookUp($A1,$C$1:$D$3,2,False))

Good Luck

"Burt" wrote:

Hi, I have 2 columns with data (lets say A and C). I want to (in another
column, say B) put a formula in that finds if a value in column A and looks
to see if there is a match in column C (not necessarily on same row). If
there is a match I want to input a value which exists in a 4th column in the
same row as the matched value in column C. e.g:

Col A Col B (formula here) Col C Col D
dog No match bear xxx
cat No match mouse vvv
mouse vvv lion xxx

So...if a value from column A exists in Col C (e.g. mouse) then in column
B i want to extract the value from col D (e.g. vvv), otherwise say 'no
match'. So both two and three.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Couldn't figure out why it wouldnt work, but as soon as I had changed it to
'iserror' then it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the formula

Cheers,