Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
IFIXPCS

Default I need to compare to columns and indicate the matches in another

am wanting to compare 2 columns for exact matching. If there are two
matching items I want to be able to say "A match" in a chosen cell for all
the ones that match. Column C will be retrived in an random order... so how
would I write the formula for that?????

Example:
A B C
45time 11tune
A match 11tune 89time
47doog 43jkjkj
A match 123ABC 123ABC

If possible include how to highlight the ones that make as another option.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

Try something like this:

For a value list in B1:B5 and a new list in C1:C10:

Assuming that by "exact match" you mean that 11TUNE does NOT equal 11tune:
A1: =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT($C$1:$C$10,B1))0,"A Match","NO Match")
Copy that formula down as far as you need.

However, if 11TUNE DOES equal 11tune:
Then A1: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(B1,C:C,0)),"NO Match","A Match")
Copy that formula down as far as you need.

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro