Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Protection Help

I am working on a price sheet some of the columns containing multipliers so I
hide them therefore my employees cannot see specific data. I protect the
worksheet and sent it out but they were still able to unhide the columns and
see the protected data. If I copy and €śpaste special€ť only the values I lose
all my formatted cells, it puts it back into plain text. Is there a way
around this, or a different way? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm guessing you want the cells to show, but no-one can edit them.

If the end-user does not need to be able to alter any of the data, simply
protect the worksheet. All cells are locked by default, but the lock only
applies to a protected sheet.

If the end user needs to be able to edit some cells, select those cells, go
to Format Cells Protection tab and deselect the "Locked" tickbox. Click
OK, then protect the sheet. Only the unlocked cells will be editable, but
all the data will be visible.

--
Ian
--
I am working on a price sheet some of the columns containing multipliers so
hide them therefore my employees cannot see specific data. I protect the
worksheet and sent it out but they were still able to unhide the columns
and
see the protected data. If I copy and "paste special" only the values I
lose
all my formatted cells, it puts it back into plain text. Is there a way
around this, or a different way? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

after copying/pasting values, you can pastespecial formats to retain all of
your formatting.

as I pointed out in your post yesterday, excels internal protection is very
weak. once the workbook is open, its difficult (if not impossible) to secure
sensitive data. you can't really secure the data - you're only hope is to
hide it where they can't find it. and if they're inclined to look for it,
they will likely find it. if you do manage to stump them, they could post
their questions on this site and maybe have them answered by the same experts
who gave you your ideas.

my suggestion is stop playing games with your employees and do not have any
of the sensitive data in the workbook you give them, period. just be sure
your copy of the workbook is secured where they can't get to it.