Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Same Text Characters, 2 Different Codes

I extracted two columns of data from SAP, one from the MARA table and one
from MARC (figured this might help if you use SAP). The 2nd table was a
subset of ther first. My goal was to find the elements in the first set that
were missing from the sub-set.

I created column A with the super-set and column B with the subset. I ran a
matching argument and got no matches. I took the data into Access and got no
matches. I'm looking at the two columns and I can plainly see matches.

Then I ran a CODE function and it turns out that the value "B" in column A
was = to 66 but the value for "B" in the adjacent column was = to 9. I typed
a "B" in the third column and it had a code value of 66.

Now I've compared extractions from SAP, using Excel worksheets for over a
year now and this is the first time I've run into it. Does anyone have any
idea why this would occur? (I realize it might be an "SAP thing" but thought
I would ask anyway.

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Apparently values in your second column have a TAB (ASCII 9, which you are
getting from your CODE function)... it must have crept in during your
importing process (think about what you did differently this time). Remove
the first character [will TRIM work? if not use =RIGHT(B1,LEN(B1)-1)]

"ConfusedNHouston" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like you have a Tab character prefacing the "B" in column that
returns the 9

=CODE(B1) returns only the first character of the cell.

To clear the Tabs......................

Public Sub Strip_Tabs()
Selection.Replace what:=Chr(9), _
replacement:="", lookat:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 07:30:01 -0700, ConfusedNHouston
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe you guys about the tab, but this is strange, I wrote
(=mid(B1,2,50) ) and it removed the B. You'd have expected it to remove the
tab and leave the B, right? Anyway I did a "B" & Cell Number for the
"B-Less" part numbers, converted to values, and it ran fine after that
exercise.

Thanks again for your help. I will know to look for a tab next time.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what those cells
really contain:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.aspx

--

Dave Peterson