Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default need help converting text codes to names

my budget workbook is setup where you have an input page and then living exp,
trans, medical, checking sheets, etc. the input page is setup per month, you
enter the amount and the code (wp=water payment, ep= electric payment, etc).
what i'm need to know is on the checkbook sheet, how do I make it recognize
the name for the code in the range. i've tried VLOOKUP & SUBSTITUE. i can get
substitue to work for only 2 codes at a time. the formula i'm using is
=substitue(substitue(range,"code","name"),"code"," name"). I need it to
recognize 5 codes in the range.the codes are TP=Bellsouth, GP=Amerigas,
WP=Water company, BD= bank deposit, and BWD=bank withdrawl debit. please help
me to figure this out. it's driving me crazy lol. thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Surely Vlookup will do what you want. That's what it was designed for. Set up a
table with the code in one column and the name in the next.

If you are still having trouble, post back with the vlookup formula and what the
table looks like.

Fred

"scats" wrote in message
my budget workbook is setup where you have an input page and then living exp,
trans, medical, checking sheets, etc. the input page is setup per month, you
enter the amount and the code (wp=water payment, ep= electric payment, etc).
what i'm need to know is on the checkbook sheet, how do I make it recognize
the name for the code in the range. i've tried VLOOKUP & SUBSTITUE. i can get
substitue to work for only 2 codes at a time. the formula i'm using is
=substitue(substitue(range,"code","name"),"code"," name"). I need it to
recognize 5 codes in the range.the codes are TP=Bellsouth, GP=Amerigas,
WP=Water company, BD= bank deposit, and BWD=bank withdrawl debit. please help
me to figure this out. it's driving me crazy lol. thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"scats" wrote:

my budget workbook is setup where you have an input page and then living exp,
trans, medical, checking sheets, etc. the input page is setup per month, you
enter the amount and the code (wp=water payment, ep= electric payment, etc).
what i'm need to know is on the checkbook sheet, how do I make it recognize
the name for the code in the range. i've tried VLOOKUP & SUBSTITUE. i can get
substitue to work for only 2 codes at a time. the formula i'm using is
=substitue(substitue(range,"code","name"),"code"," name"). I need it to
recognize 5 codes in the range.the codes are TP=Bellsouth, GP=Amerigas,
WP=Water company, BD= bank deposit, and BWD=bank withdrawl debit. please help
me to figure this out. it's driving me crazy lol. thanks

my workbook is setup with 7 sheets (input, income, living exp, trans, etc.).
i enter the data on the input sheet which is linked to all sheets but the
checkbook sheet. the input page looks like this:

B C E F H I
T U
jan feb mar
company code
amount code amount code amount code
water bill wb
$111 wb $100 tb $100 gb
phone bill tb
$111 wp $100 tp $100 gp
gas co. gb

b=bill p=payment

i use the bank for certain bills. what i need is a formula for the checkbook
page so when i pay a bill or make a deposit it logs in the checkbook. the
checkbook page is a template resembling a regular checkbook log. i've worked
with excel alot but have not worked with functions like vlookup. thanks for
helping.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"scats" wrote:

"scats" wrote:

[...]

B C E F T U
jan Feb Company Code
Amount code amount code phone tp
100 tb 50 wb water wp
100 tp 50 wp
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In another area, such as a separate sheet, set up a table that looks like:

Code Name
tp Bellsouth
gp Amerigas
wp Water company
bd Bank deposit
bwd Bank withdrawal debit

The codes don't have to be in alphabetical order, but the code must come before
the name.

In your log, where you have the code, but want the name to appear, use the
formula:

=vlookup(cellwithname,Tablesheetname!A:B,2,false)

Does this help?

Fred