Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Roundup percent within existing formula?

Hello,

I need to round up the answer for this simple formula in whole numbers

=D8/D3

The problem is that that the breakdown is equaling 99% and I have to make it
equal 100%. On my pie chart that accompanies the stat sheet it shows the
breakdown of my three categories like this:

30 total
7 = 23%
13 = 44%
10 = 33%

On the stat sheet it shows 23%, 43% and 33% respectively. I've been told to
make them match. So I need the percent for D8/D3 to equal 44%.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tgcali

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the response, unfortunately it's returning a value of 100%. Am I
doing something wrong?

tgcali

"AnotherNewGuy" wrote:

How 'bout sumpin like:
=ROUND((D8/D3)+0.49,0)

"tgcali" wrote:

Hello,

I need to round up the answer for this simple formula in whole numbers

=D8/D3

The problem is that that the breakdown is equaling 99% and I have to make it
equal 100%. On my pie chart that accompanies the stat sheet it shows the
breakdown of my three categories like this:

30 total
7 = 23%
13 = 44%
10 = 33%

On the stat sheet it shows 23%, 43% and 33% respectively. I've been told to
make them match. So I need the percent for D8/D3 to equal 44%.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tgcali

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry. I read your post hastily and thought you just wanted to round up to
the nearest whole number.

Interesting problem. The only way I know to guarantee the percentages will
equal 100% every time would be to subtract two of the results from 100% to
arrive at the third. I'm sure someone here will have a much more elegant
solution.

"tgcali" wrote:

Thanks for the response, unfortunately it's returning a value of 100%. Am I
doing something wrong?

tgcali

"AnotherNewGuy" wrote:

How 'bout sumpin like:
=ROUND((D8/D3)+0.49,0)

"tgcali" wrote:

Hello,

I need to round up the answer for this simple formula in whole numbers

=D8/D3

The problem is that that the breakdown is equaling 99% and I have to make it
equal 100%. On my pie chart that accompanies the stat sheet it shows the
breakdown of my three categories like this:

30 total
7 = 23%
13 = 44%
10 = 33%

On the stat sheet it shows 23%, 43% and 33% respectively. I've been told to
make them match. So I need the percent for D8/D3 to equal 44%.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tgcali

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What you are asking is very ugly to do. Here is why. What you are showing on
the pie chart is the percentage instead of the value. What percentage is
doing is it is allocating the the extra 1% to the 43 because 43 is the
largest value in the set. The actual percentages are 23.333, 43.333 and
33.333. None of those numbers rounds up. The extra 1% is based on the size of
the slice. Now if your data was 11, 11 and 6 your pie chart will show 39%,
40% and 21%. Since 11 and 11 are equal the 40 is an arbitrary allocation of
the extra 1%.

My recommendation would be to change the pie chart to show the value insted
of the percent. Then your chart will show the 43.3, 33.3 and 23.3 percent.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"tgcali" wrote:

Hello,

I need to round up the answer for this simple formula in whole numbers

=D8/D3

The problem is that that the breakdown is equaling 99% and I have to make it
equal 100%. On my pie chart that accompanies the stat sheet it shows the
breakdown of my three categories like this:

30 total
7 = 23%
13 = 44%
10 = 33%

On the stat sheet it shows 23%, 43% and 33% respectively. I've been told to
make them match. So I need the percent for D8/D3 to equal 44%.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tgcali

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's a thought. How would I subtract the other two totals? I really do
appreciate your help!

tgcali

"tgcali" wrote:

Thanks for the response, unfortunately it's returning a value of 100%. Am I
doing something wrong?

tgcali

"AnotherNewGuy" wrote:

How 'bout sumpin like:
=ROUND((D8/D3)+0.49,0)

"tgcali" wrote:

Hello,

I need to round up the answer for this simple formula in whole numbers

=D8/D3

The problem is that that the breakdown is equaling 99% and I have to make it
equal 100%. On my pie chart that accompanies the stat sheet it shows the
breakdown of my three categories like this:

30 total
7 = 23%
13 = 44%
10 = 33%

On the stat sheet it shows 23%, 43% and 33% respectively. I've been told to
make them match. So I need the percent for D8/D3 to equal 44%.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tgcali

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I like Jim's idea a lot better.

But if you wanted to try my suggestion, the cell where you want 44% would be
something like:

=100-(D1+D2)

Assuming D1 and D2 are the cells where 23% and 33% are calculated.

Would he let you display the percentages as 23.3%, 33.3%, and 43.3% and
display the total as 100%?

But I really like Jim's idea a lot better ;)

"tgcali" wrote:

Thanks for the response, unfortunately it's returning a value of 100%. Am I
doing something wrong?

tgcali

"AnotherNewGuy" wrote:

How 'bout sumpin like: