Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Display only first letter of Weekday in number format

When formatting a date, I would like to display only the first letter
of the weekday. For example, 9/1/08 (39692) would display as "M". I
know format "ddd" will display "Mon", but I'd like to have *only* the
first letter.... Any ideas?

I am using Excel 2007.

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think this can be done using formatting. You'd have to use a helper
cell:

A1 = some date

=LEFT(TEXT(A1,"ddd"))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"BillG" wrote in message
When formatting a date, I would like to display only the first letter
of the weekday. For example, 9/1/08 (39692) would display as "M". I
know format "ddd" will display "Mon", but I'd like to have *only* the
first letter.... Any ideas?

I am using Excel 2007.

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sep 3, 3:14*pm, Teethless mama
wrote:
=LEFT(TEXT(A1,"ddd"))

"BillG" wrote:
When formatting a date, I would like to display only the first letter
of the weekday. For example, 9/1/08 (39692) would display as "M". *I
know format "ddd" will display "Mon", but I'd like to have *only* the
first letter.... Any ideas?

I am using Excel 2007.

Thank you!

Thank you for the quick responses... Looks like I won't be able to use
formatting the way I would like to. I was hoping to preserve the
actual date value in the cell as I want to use it for something. You
have saved me a lot of time trying to make it work. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're Welcome!

"BillG" wrote:

On Sep 3, 3:14 pm, Teethless mama