Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Display weekday when date is MM-DD-YYYY

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to display the weekday in a cell, based on the date in cell A1.

I know the code I can use is

Code:
=TEXT(A1,"DDDD")
The problem I have is my dates are formatted as MM-DD-YYYY and I cannot
change this.

How can I amend the workday formula to represet and allow for this.

Thanks
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use this conversion formula to get the day of the week:

=TEXT(A1,"dddd")

Change cell address as needed.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Dave" wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to display the weekday in a cell, based on the date in cell A1.

I know the code I can use is

Code:
=TEXT(A1,"DDDD")
The problem I have is my dates are formatted as MM-DD-YYYY and I cannot
change this.

How can I amend the workday formula to represet and allow for this.

Thanks
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel dates regardless of formatting are days since Jan 0 1900 so if you are
using a different format
it doesn't make any difference as long as you are using what Excel
interprets as dates
If you don't the weekday using that formula then your dates are text strings
and you need to make sure they are numerical by entering them according to
your regional settings in your OS and then use a custom format

Peo Sjoblom

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to display the weekday in a cell, based on the date in cell
A1.

I know the code I can use is

Code:
=TEXT(A1,"DDDD")
The problem I have is my dates are formatted as MM-DD-YYYY and I cannot
change this.

How can I amend the workday formula to represet and allow for this.

Thanks
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No the day is not wrong, formatting only changes the display, then
underlying value of for instance Oct 22 2007 will always be

39377

and TEXT(39377,"dddd") will always return "Monday"

Peo Sjoblom