Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Merge Cells

I am currently trying to merge two cells that have numbers and i need to
merge them. e.g cell A1 = 0101 Cell A2 = 01. I want to merge these two cells
and the final figure should be 010101. Is there a way in excel to do this as
i have tried numerous ways without joy.
--
Thanks regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you have to change the format of the values from "numeric" to "text",
for each cell in the merge select "format" from the menu, then "cells" , then
"category" text.

--
Dave Eade
EPCS Ltd

"Caine Sanchez" wrote:

I am currently trying to merge two cells that have numbers and i need to
merge them. e.g cell A1 = 0101 Cell A2 = 01. I want to merge these two cells
and the final figure should be 010101. Is there a way in excel to do this as
i have tried numerous ways without joy.
--
Thanks regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you merge cells, then you will lose some of the contents of those
cells. Usually the contents of the top left cell remains.

If you mean that you need to merge the values, then you could do so
like this in another cell:

=TEXT(A1,"0000")&TEXT(A2,"00")

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 3, 1:16*pm, Caine Sanchez
wrote:
I am currently trying to merge two cells that have numbers and i need to
merge them. e.g cell A1 = 0101 *Cell A2 = 01. I want to merge these two cells
and the final figure should be 010101. Is there a way in excel to do this as
i have tried numerous ways without joy.
--
Thanks regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The others suggested concantenation - this is another approach
In A3 have the equation =A1*100+A2, you might need to use custom format to
retain the leading zeros....
--
Wag more, bark less