Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Locationg the first number in a row

Hi guys,

I have a collection of weekly data organised into rows. Where I have no data
for that week i simply enter "-". What I need is a formula to locate the
first number that occurs in a designated row.

For example if my data is:

- - - 8 - 9 9 - 10

I would need the formula to simply pick up the number 8.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Kind regards,

Ant
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=INDEX(A1:IV1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(A1:IV1),0))

entered as an array formula using CNTRL-SHFT-ENTER rather than just the
ENTER key.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200801

"Anto111" wrote:

Hi guys,

I have a collection of weekly data organised into rows. Where I have no data
for that week i simply enter "-". What I need is a formula to locate the
first number that occurs in a designated row.

For example if my data is:

- - - 8 - 9 9 - 10

I would need the formula to simply pick up the number 8.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Kind regards,

Ant

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use Shft-Cntl - enter to get {}. The formula creates an arrray of true and
falses to identifies where the number are. Match looks for the first number
which is a TRUE and then uses Index to get the number.

=INDEX(A1:I1,1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(A1:I1),FALSE))