Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Numbers

I copied a range of numbers into excel from the internet. When I try to
'Autosum' them they will not add. I also cannot format them e.g can't change
them to a currency or change the number of decimal places of any number in a
cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You probably got the values in text format.

There are a few options;
1. Paste it first into a text editor like Notepad and then remove spaces etc.
2. You can also try entering 1 in any blank cell, Copy it and the select the
range where you have already pasted the values, right click, choose Paste
Special, click on Multiply and hit OK.

Let me know if solves your problem.
Otherwise paste a few rows here so that I can analyze further.
"clivert" wrote:

I copied a range of numbers into excel from the internet. When I try to
'Autosum' them they will not add. I also cannot format them e.g can't change
them to a currency or change the number of decimal places of any number in a
cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
i suspect that you internet number were pasted into excel as text. common
problem.
try this.
type a 1 in a cell off to the side. copy it.
highlight your internet numbers and pastespecial multipy

regards
FSt1

"clivert" wrote:

I copied a range of numbers into excel from the internet. When I try to
'Autosum' them they will not add. I also cannot format them e.g can't change
them to a currency or change the number of decimal places of any number in a
cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds as if your *numbers* are actually text. Try highlighting all you
*numbers* and then running this small Macro:

Sub ChangeIt()
For Each cell In Selection

If cell.Value < "" Then
cell.Value = _
--Application.Trim(Application.Substitute _
(cell.Value, Chr(160), ""))
End If
Next cell

HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"clivert" wrote in message
I copied a range of numbers into excel from the internet. When I try to
'Autosum' them they will not add. I also cannot format them e.g can't
change
them to a currency or change the number of decimal places of any number in
cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That means that you've got text, not numbers.

There are probably spaces or other non-printing characters in the cells with
your numbers.
Try copying an empty cell, then celling your range of "numbers", and then
using Edit/ Paste Special/ Add. If you are lucky, that wil change your text
to real numbers. If not, you'll have to find out what spurious characters
you've got in the cells with your numbers, and get rid of them.
--
David Biddulph

"clivert" wrote in message
I copied a range of numbers into excel from the internet. When I try to
'Autosum' them they will not add. I also cannot format them e.g can't
change
them to a currency or change the number of decimal places of any number in
cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your numbers are text.

Format all to General.

Copy a blank cell then select your range of "numbers" and editpaste
specialaddokesc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:39:02 -0700, clivert
wrote:

I copied a range of numbers into excel from the internet. When I try to
'Autosum' them they will not add. I also cannot format them e.g can't change
them to a currency or change the number of decimal places of any number in a
cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Sheelo.

Tried option 1. Pasted column of #s into notepad and they aligned to the
very left. when I clicked on the RHS of the numbers the cursur was offset to
the right by one push of the 'backspace' button. Hit backspace beside every
number and pasted back in and it worked. Nice one.