Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Spilting a column

I am trying to merge mailing spreadsheets, and the one I am building has
first name & last name columns, but my issue is that many of the other
spreadsheets have only one column for a name (smith, bob). Is there a way to
create a method to use the comma in between the "smith, bob" to separate the
data into 2 columns?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To get smith use =LEFT(C6,FIND(",",C6)-1)
and to get bob use =RIGHT(C6,FIND(",",C6)-3)

assuming C6 has smith, bob

"Zack" wrote:

I am trying to merge mailing spreadsheets, and the one I am building has
first name & last name columns, but my issue is that many of the other
spreadsheets have only one column for a name (smith, bob). Is there a way to
create a method to use the comma in between the "smith, bob" to separate the
data into 2 columns?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

DataText to ColumnsComma delimited

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:33:00 -0700, Zack
wrote:

I am trying to merge mailing spreadsheets, and the one I am building has
first name & last name columns, but my issue is that many of the other
spreadsheets have only one column for a name (smith, bob). Is there a way to
create a method to use the comma in between the "smith, bob" to separate the
data into 2 columns?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks David,

Yes, that was the intent.