Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael

Default Spilting 1 cells contents into 5 columns over an entry of 1 to five characters

Can you guide me please

I have one cell that will hve anything up to a 5 digit number in this, I
what to place the respective digit in to separate columns

ie.
If I enter ABCDE in the receiving cell, I use the MID(Cell,3,1) which will
return me the C

A | B | C | D | E
| F |
1 |ABCDE| A | B | C | D |
E |

Which is acheived with
Cell B1 =MID($A$1,1,1)
Cell C1 =MID($A$1,2,1)
Cell D1 =MID($A$1,3,1)
Cell E1 =MID($A$1,4,1)
Cell F1 =MID($A$1,5,1)

Gets me the result I want when the figure is five digits long

However when I only have a four digit result say BCDE

the result is as follows

A | B | C | D | E
| F |
1 |BCDE | B | C | D | E |

I need to display it

A | B | C | D | E
| F |
1 |BCDE | | B | C | D |
E |

Hope this is clear

TIH

Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

If it's 5 digit figures (numbers) only in A1 down, think we could try in B1:

=IF(MID(TEXT($A1,"00000"),COLUMN(A1),1)="0","",MID (TEXT($A1,"00000"),COLUMN(
A1),1)+0)

Copy B1 across to F1, fill down
--
Rgds
Max
"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael

Max

Thanks for this I am on my way further forward now, however this has now
brought the problem of the decimal point

The data I receive has the decimal point in, when I enter 10.75 is displayed
for example

It returns the values of 00011, have tried using place but made no
difference

Any Ideas

TIA

Michael

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Perhaps try instead in B1:
=IF(MID(TEXT($A1,"00.00"),COLUMN(A1),1)=".",".",
MID(TEXT($A1,"00.00"),COLUMN(A1),1)+0)
Copy B1 across to F1, fill down as before
--
Rgds
Max

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael

Max

Thanks for your help on this one, and apologies for the delay on responding,
have not had the time to look at suggestion until now.

However I have tried this and it spilt up the data, your first suggestion
was closer, however I am not grasping what you are applying

I basically get decimal entries that I can Vlookup from another worksheet in
one column
ie
1.5
10.75
100.25
etc

and I would like the respective digit placed into a column and the decimal
point would be disguarded
and then display is over five columns

ie a 1.5 decimel entry in the column would display as

|0|0|1|5|0|

10.75

|0|1|0|7|5|

100.25

|1|0|0|2|5|

Can you advise any further or is this not a functional

MTIA

Michael

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

With the data in A1, put this in B1 and drag across to F1
=MID(TEXT($A1*100,"00000"),COLUMN()-1,1)

Then select B1:F1 and drag down as far as you need.

Alternatively...

You could put this in B1:
=text(a1*100,"00000")
then drag down column B.
Select column B
edit|copy
edit|paste special|values

Then use data|text to columns.
choose fixed width and draw a line between each digit.

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

This slight revision to the first suggestion should do it, hopefully ..

Sample construct at:
http://cjoint.com/?mhcG44L4dP
SplittingFormulaReturnsIntoCells_Michael_misc.xls

With the returns from the VLOOKUP in A1 down,

Put in B1:
=IF(MID(TEXT($A1*100,"00000"),COLUMN(A1),1)="0",0,
MID(TEXT($A1*100,"00000"),COLUMN(A1),1)+0)

Copy B1 across to F1, fill down

"1.5" value returned by VLOOKUP in A1 would display as:
|0|0|1|5|0| in B1:F1

"10.75" as:
|0|1|0|7|5|

"100.25" as: