Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default calculate time does not calculate

Hello
report comes from another system - which I import into excel 2002 -cells are
formatted as general Here we go...
row 1 has the headings , row 2 has the name of the employee.
column D has the log in time , column E has the lunch log out time
the row below has the same employee name again
column d has the log in time after lunch, row e has the last log out time
In this simple example the person worked 6:30 hours
Name In 0ut
Smith 8:00am 11:00am
Smith 12:00PM 3:30PM

what I need to know is the total hours worked during a day. I tried this
formula =TEXT(H14-F14,"hh:mm") but I get and answer of #VALUE
I tired formatting the cells as time - but it did not work.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, how about using a 24 hour system ,,, like 3pm becomes 1500 hrs?

Col A Col B Col C Col D
Row1 Smith 0800 1100 =sum(C1-B1)
Row2 Smith 1200 1500 =sum(C2-B2)
Row3 Total Hrs Worked =sum(D1+D2)