Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default calculate from time started and finished to get total time used

I need help to see how to get a formula for this.

if a person signed on at 10:22 am and finished at 4:45, how can i get the
excel sheet to tell me how much time was used on the project? I am a real
novice, so really simple explainations would be greatly appreciated. I
checked all of the ones available on here on the online discussion, but was
lost all the way through.
simply stupid I guess.
thanks
Sandra

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Times and dates in Excel are just formatted numbers. Dates to the left
of the decimal and times to the right.
With 10:22 AM in A1 and 4:45 PM in B1, the formula in C1 would be:
=B1-A1
Excel will automatically format the result as AM/PM time - just change
the format to something that doesn't have AM/PM included like h:mm;@.

To demonstrate the simplicity, format all the cells as general -
4:45 PM = 0.697916667
minus
10:22 AM = 0.431944444
equals
6:23 = 0.265972222

Excel won't display negative time values - you'll get a cell full of
#######.
Other than that, there's nothing special about the math, it's all in
the formatting with times and dates.

Cliff Edwards