Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I remove a sort in Excell 2003

I just sorted a set of columns on my spreadsheet and it will not 'unsort'
them.
I used to be able to click on "remove filter /sort" but this option is not
available for some reason. Can anyone help? Excell 2003.

I cannot see why when sorting one column, why all the data in the columns
alongside is not sorted also as it used to be.
I have been able to do this for years. Tonight I spent three hours entering
data and one click and it is now ruined, as the sorted columns are not in the
same relationship to the unsorted ones as they were to start with.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
have you tried the keyboard short cut Ctrl+Z

works for me

Regards
FSt1

"Howard Walker 635" wrote:

I just sorted a set of columns on my spreadsheet and it will not 'unsort'
them.
I used to be able to click on "remove filter /sort" but this option is not
available for some reason. Can anyone help? Excell 2003.

I cannot see why when sorting one column, why all the data in the columns
alongside is not sorted also as it used to be.
I have been able to do this for years. Tonight I spent three hours entering
data and one click and it is now ruined, as the sorted columns are not in the
same relationship to the unsorted ones as they were to start with.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes that was the first thing I tried. when I checked the edit drop down list
it said "cannot undo".

Having studied it further, I find that there is a feature in 2003 called
lists, which seems to work pretty well, but only if you are aware of it -
which I was not. I only use Excell occasionally and was unaware that they had
gotton rid of the sort that was in 2000 and included it quietly into the new
list feature.

So I have now spent a couple of hours re-entering data, making a backup
every ten minutes whilst testing the list feature. Even then, I find that the
only way to restore a list to its original order after a sort, is to have a
column of numbered cells in the list and re-sort the list using that column.
Maybe I have not fully understood it, but for the moment, the work around
lets me get on with my work.

Thanks for your input.

Howard Walker

"Howard Walker 635" wrote:

I just sorted a set of columns on my spreadsheet and it will not 'unsort'
them.
I used to be able to click on "remove filter /sort" but this option is not
available for some reason. Can anyone help? Excell 2003.

I cannot see why when sorting one column, why all the data in the columns
alongside is not sorted also as it used to be.
I have been able to do this for years. Tonight I spent three hours entering
data and one click and it is now ruined, as the sorted columns are not in the
same relationship to the unsorted ones as they were to start with.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel 2003 does not create a List by its ownself.

You obviously created a List though DataList

All columns within a List will sort together........that is a feature of a
List

After sorting within a List, you should be able to CTRL + z or hit "undo"
button.

Sorting without a list in 2003 is same as sorting in 2000..............make
sure you select all columns before sorting.

Don't let Excel guess.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Howard Walker 635" wrote:

I just sorted a set of columns on my spreadsheet and it will not 'unsort'
them.
I used to be able to click on "remove filter /sort" but this option is not
available for some reason. Can anyone help? Excell 2003.

I cannot see why when sorting one column, why all the data in the columns
alongside is not sorted also as it used to be.
I have been able to do this for years. Tonight I spent three hours entering
data and one click and it is now ruined, as the sorted columns are not in the
same relationship to the unsorted ones as they were to start with.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did create a list - but only after my sheet had been ruined by there being
no way of putting a sort back to the original order.

Well as I recollect in excell 2000, there is a button called 'Remove
filter/sort which is missing in 2003.This worked even after saving the data.

Even the list item is quite difficult to use to start with, not being as
intuitive as most MS software is. I find that can restore a sort, but by far
the quickest way of doing this is to include a numbered list in a column on
the page and use that to restore with.

There are always many ways of doing things, but some of them are just not
obvious - even after running the MS tutorial on lists.
Needs looking at some more I guess.
Howard Walker

"Howard Walker 635" wrote:

I just sorted a set of columns on my spreadsheet and it will not 'unsort'
them.
I used to be able to click on "remove filter /sort" but this option is not
available for some reason. Can anyone help? Excell 2003.

I cannot see why when sorting one column, why all the data in the columns
alongside is not sorted also as it used to be.
I have been able to do this for years. Tonight I spent three hours entering
data and one click and it is now ruined, as the sorted columns are not in the
same relationship to the unsorted ones as they were to start with.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Howard Walker 635 wrote:
I just sorted a set of columns on my spreadsheet and it will not 'unsort'
them.
I used to be able to click on "remove filter /sort" but this option is not
available for some reason. Can anyone help? Excell 2003.

I cannot see why when sorting one column, why all the data in the columns
alongside is not sorted also as it used to be.
I have been able to do this for years. Tonight I spent three hours entering
data and one click and it is now ruined, as the sorted columns are not in the
same relationship to the unsorted ones as they were to start with.

One approach is to save your file before sorting. After sorting, close
the file without saving, then reopen the file.

Bill