Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Non-Contiguous Named Range?

hi, Ray !

if you let me suppose... and what you *really need* is a sum from next column to named range
but only where each row in the named range begins with "escrow" -???-

you could try with the following "array formula" (confirm by ctrl+shift+enter NOT just enter)
replace <name with your name-range (and watch for line-wrapping, it should be in a single line)

=sum(subtotal(9,offset(name,small(if(isnumber(sear ch("escrow*",name)),row(name)),row(indirect("1:"&c ountif(name,"escrow*"))))-2,1,1,1)))

be aware of "-2" in the formula, it shall be the starting row-number of your named-range

if any doubts (or further information)... would you please comment ?
hth,
hector.

__ OP __
I've created one dynamic named range to hold all values from cell D2 to last cell in column
(so if user adds another value to bottom, named range extends automatically to include that value).
Now, I'd like to create another named range which is a subset of the main named range
this subset would include all values which start with "escrow".
Is there a way to build a named range like this?
The values won't necessarily be contiguous
(ie, user adds a new 'escrow' value to bottom of column and doesn't re-sort the whole list).