Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Format row color based on individual cell

I have a list of work orders. In column G, they are listed as being one of
four types, A, b, c, or d. I would like row 1 to have a background color
based on the type in column g. I would like to do this throughout the
spreadsheet. I have tried conditional formating, but I haven't been able to
get it to work.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the rows you want to be conditionally coloured (in my case from row 2
on down). Now select Format - Conditional Format - Formula is -
=LOWER($G2) = "d"

This assumes that row 2 is the active row in your selection. You may need to
adjust as necessary...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Beawesum" wrote:

I have a list of work orders. In column G, they are listed as being one of
four types, A, b, c, or d. I would like row 1 to have a background color
based on the type in column g. I would like to do this throughout the
spreadsheet. I have tried conditional formating, but I haven't been able to
get it to work.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In anything earlier than Excel '07 you can only have 3 rules so, if you are
in an earlier version, format the whole sheet to be the color you'd choose
for the 4th option.

Select the top row of data. Assume it is row 2
Go to Formatting-Conditional formatting
Use "Formulas is" and type in =$g2="A"
Click on Format, go to the Fill tab and choose your color
Click on OK and click on New (or Add, I can't remember)
Use "Formula is" and type in =$g2="B" and repeat the previous steps,
choosing a different fill color
Repeat again for =$g2="C"