Junior Member

Question Update worksheet from Master workbook

EDITED TO ADD: Woohoo! I finally got the answer. =) Just stick with import external data and hit the red exclamation point every morning to update the data. That keeps all of my formatting. YAY!

Hey y'all,

I could've sworn I'd already posted this question here, but when I came in this morning and typed my handle into search to see if anyone had answered yesterday's help post, I can't find the question. Strange! Anyway, here goes...

I work for an insurance company; there are 7 employees, each with access to the network server in addition to their own 'c' drive. We have multiple data sheets, one for clients information, one for agents information, insurance companies information, etc. that are all stored on the network.

Those files get updated anytime something needs to be changed. This might not be everyday, just whenever needed. The first person to open the file gets "edit" mode, the rest will only have read-only access. I rarely have to edit, so if I'm the first one in then, invariably, I'll be asked to exit so someone else can get in and edit.

I've decided that I want my own separate access. I've made a workbook with 10 different worksheets, each tab named after a database that's on the network. Every morning I go into the worksheet, erase everything, re-import external data. The problem is, I lose all of my formatting that I may have done.

Is there any way to have any changes that are made to the network file show up in my file? I'd like my file to update any changes, additions, deletions that are made to the master files, but keep the formatting that I've done on my file. And, I'd like this done automatically.

Can anyone help? I've been tackling this question all week, but haven't gotten to an answer yet. I probably thought I'd already posted here because I've asked for help here before, and received it. *sigh*... anyone?

Last edited by txheart : August 14th 08 at 04:40 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

Default Update worksheet from Master workbook

one way is to record the format changes to a macro and execute that once the
data is loaded (if you can not do "past / special / values" ) Click
tools/macro/record macro (you can assign a short cut like cntl+t) and it will
record all the formating you do until you stop the record.

You can also have your formating sheet that you hit the paint brush and
paint to the area? Try this first

--
txheart