Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What are 'Special' number formats?

XL2003. I train people to use Excel, and finally I've looked at this bit. It
contains a drop-down list of a zillion languages and countries, but I think
only English (US) has any entries, for your zip codes and phone numbers. Can
I use this format for anything? Is it there in case anyone suggests to
Microsoft a special format that is used in Britain or China or wherever? What
am I missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've looked closer and see special formats in Thai and Vietnamese and
Turkish--so I'll add to my question a bit and ask is this where we ask
Microsoft to include new special formats, such as English (UK) phone numbers
or cartesian map references?