Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Start up

When I start EXCEL I get a message box that says "This workbook is currently
referenced by another workbook and cannot be closed". I have never
(intentionally) created such a reference and if I did I cant find it. How do
I eliminate this message?
--
Thanks for your help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you START excel????

Are you opening any specific file (doubleclicking on it in windows explorer) or
are you just starting excel with a blank workbook?

The only way I get this message is when I'm closing a file that has a reference
set to another workbook. And I would think that would be pretty unusual to be
happening when you're opening excel.

But....

Start excel
Get that message and dismiss it.
Open the VBE (alt-f11 is one way)

Hit ctrl-r to view the project explorer.

It'll show you all the workbooks (with their projects) that are open.

Now comes the detective portion.
Select each workbook/project (just like selecting a file in windows explorer)

Then click on Tools|References

Look for a reference to any other open workbook.

Ignore these if they are checked:
Visual Basic For Applications
Microsoft Excel xx.0 Object Library
Microsoft Office xx.0 Object Library
Microsoft forms xx.0 Object Library

If you see any checked that have a one word description, look over to the
project explorer window.

You'll see:
VBAProject(book1.xls)
OtherProject(book2.xls

Look for a match in the project name (before the workbook name in ()'s)

If you uncheck it, you'll will eliminate the reference. But if it's for a
workbook that was developed by your company, you may want to raise a complaint
so you don't break anything.

If it turns out that there's a reference in the new book1 (no extension), then
your Book.xlt workbook template could have that reference--and newly created
workbooks are inheriting this setting.

Open your book.xlt file and remove the reference, then save that template file
in the same location.

Remember, you may want to check out why this is happening before you "fix" the
symptom.

LesHurley wrote:

When I start EXCEL I get a message box that says "This workbook is currently
referenced by another workbook and cannot be closed". I have never
(intentionally) created such a reference and if I did I cant find it. How do
I eliminate this message?
--
Thanks for your help

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All I do is click the EXCEL icon on my desktop. As soon as it loads that
messag comes up.
--
Thanks for your help

LesHurley wrote:

When I start EXCEL I get a message box that says "This workbook is currently
referenced by another workbook and cannot be closed". I have never
(intentionally) created such a reference and if I did I cant find it. How do
I eliminate this message?
--
Thanks for your help

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Some sites to help you find the problem:

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

LesHurley wrote:

When I start EXCEL I get a message box that says "This workbook is currently
referenced by another workbook and cannot be closed". I have never
(intentionally) created such a reference and if I did I cant find it. How do
I eliminate this message?
--
Thanks for your help

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave; Im using EXCEL 2003.
P.S.
The only references open in The VBE tools/references are the ones you
mentioned plus OLE Automation. MS Forms Object Library not checked.

When I start EXCEL the message comes up before any workbook is loaded. Just
a blank screen, until I dismiss the message. Everything is locked up until I
either click OK or the X on the Message Box. Then a blank BOOK1 loads. IN
VBE project explorer the only things open are a project that I wrote in VBA
and I have made an ADD-IN, and VBA project book1. If I close BOOK1 that
project with it's modules dissapear as expected.

I don't understand what the message means since no workbook except the
add-in is open yet. I have used that ADD-IN for a long time and it has never
caused this problem. The only thing I have changed in the add-in project is
a call to the windows GUI to start a help system that I developed for the
add-in project. I can't remember if this problem starte then or later.
--
Thanks for your help

LesHurley wrote:

When I start EXCEL I get a message box that says "This workbook is currently
referenced by another workbook and cannot be closed". I have never
(intentionally) created such a reference and if I did I cant find it. How do
I eliminate this message?
--
Thanks for your help

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only time I've seen this message is when I'm trying to close one
workbook--and another (open) workbook has a reference to the workbook that's
trying to be closed.

I'd look at those sites by Jan Karel Pieterse and Chip Pearson to see if there's
a file in one of the startup locations that's causing the trouble.

LesHurley wrote:

When I start EXCEL I get a message box that says "This workbook is currently
referenced by another workbook and cannot be closed". I have never
(intentionally) created such a reference and if I did I cant find it. How do
I eliminate this message?
--
Thanks for your help

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave; Thank you for those links. In keeping with one of them, I unchecked my
add-in in EXCEL/tools/add-ins, Exited and then restarted Excel and the
message was gone. I rechecked my add-in and everything still works ok.
--
Thanks for your help