Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Totaling work hours

In column A I have the start date & time; in column B I have the end date &
time; in column C: =TEXT(B1-A1,"h") to deliver the hours worked on a given
day. At the bottom of column C, I want to have the total of hours worked over
a period of time. I've tried nesting formulars. However, it returns with a
too many or too few arguments or a #VALUE! error. I'm obviously doing
something wrong. Can anyone show me how it's done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the formula

=--TEXT(B1-A1,"h")

this will SUM normally then

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

&
time; in column C: =TEXT(B1-A1,"h") to deliver the hours worked on a given
day. At the bottom of column C, I want to have the total of hours worked
over
a period of time. I've tried nesting formulars. However, it returns with a
too many or too few arguments or a #VALUE! error. I'm obviously doing
something wrong. Can anyone show me how it's done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob - the formula for each day works, but the sum for all hours doesn't. I
need =SUM(C1.C2) to add the hours worked together. When I enter the sum
formula, it gives me zero.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Use the formula

=--TEXT(B1-A1,"h")

this will SUM normally then

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"denny" wrote in message
In column A I have the start date & time; in column B I have the end date
&
time; in column C: =TEXT(B1-A1,"h") to deliver the hours worked on a given
day. At the bottom of column C, I want to have the total of hours worked
over
a period of time. I've tried nesting formulars. However, it returns with a
too many or too few arguments or a #VALUE! error. I'm obviously doing
something wrong. Can anyone show me how it's done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well yes - the formula would give you zero because the values are converted
to text. Try summing column A and then B and use your text formula on the
two sums.

"Henry" wrote:

Bob - the formula for each day works, but the sum for all hours doesn't. I
need =SUM(C1.C2) to add the hours worked together. When I enter the sum
formula, it gives me zero.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Use the formula

=--TEXT(B1-A1,"h")

this will SUM normally then

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"denny" wrote in message
In column A I have the start date & time; in column B I have the end date
&
time; in column C: =TEXT(B1-A1,"h") to deliver the hours worked on a given
day. At the bottom of column C, I want to have the total of hours worked
over
a period of time. I've tried nesting formulars. However, it returns with a
too many or too few arguments or a #VALUE! error. I'm obviously doing
something wrong. Can anyone show me how it's done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you sure that you remembered the -- which Bob told you to include?
--
David Biddulph

"Henry" wrote in message
Bob - the formula for each day works, but the sum for all hours doesn't.
need =SUM(C1.C2) to add the hours worked together. When I enter the sum
formula, it gives me zero.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Use the formula

=--TEXT(B1-A1,"h")