Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.office.misc

Default Windows Vista and Excel 2000 -- incompatibility?

I asked about this issue some 6 weeks ago on two of these newsgroups, and
got a lot of advice, but no solution. Having been away for a month, I'm now
back trying to resolve what is still a very annoying problem, and I hope
that someone out there can help me.

I'm using Excel 2000 on a Vista desktop and on an XP laptop. When using
Vista, cell formatting will not work any more. For example, if I try to
apply date or custom date formatting to a cell containing '8/6/08', the cell
is not formatted as a date. The problem exists even if Excel is opened in
Safe mode, exists in both new and existing Excel files, and exists
regardless of whether the format is applied before or after the date is
entered. BUT if one of the same files is opened using the XP computer, date
formatting works as usual.

I've searched newsgroups and the web generally, and can find no other
examples of this problem. Is this an incompatibility issue between Vista
and Excel 2000? If so, does anyone know of a workaround? Can anyone help
with any other suggestions?

--
Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia