Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.office.misc
DL DL is offline

Default Windows Vista and Excel 2000 -- incompatibility?

Only Office components from Office 2003 & later are fully compatible with
Vista, that being said its generally Outlook that has most issues, I'v not
seen any mention of excell issues, but then you might get more info by
posting direct to an Excel group.

"Lindsay Graham" wrote in message
I asked about this issue some 6 weeks ago on two of these newsgroups, and
got a lot of advice, but no solution. Having been away for a month, I'm
now back trying to resolve what is still a very annoying problem, and I
hope that someone out there can help me.

I'm using Excel 2000 on a Vista desktop and on an XP laptop. When using
Vista, cell formatting will not work any more. For example, if I try to
apply date or custom date formatting to a cell containing '8/6/08', the
cell is not formatted as a date. The problem exists even if Excel is
opened in Safe mode, exists in both new and existing Excel files, and
exists regardless of whether the format is applied before or after the
date is entered. BUT if one of the same files is opened using the XP
computer, date formatting works as usual.

I've searched newsgroups and the web generally, and can find no other
examples of this problem. Is this an incompatibility issue between Vista
and Excel 2000? If so, does anyone know of a workaround? Can anyone help
with any other suggestions?

--
Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia