Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default sorting data

Hi, what I would like to do is copy and paste from a workbook onto the first
sheet of another work book; the first column (A) has a persons name and the
next seven columns have data in them, my problem is that the names change
order each week so what I would like to do is transfer some of the data from
the first sheet to the next sheet by typing in the name in column A and the
data associated with that name goes into columns B/C/D, automatically. This
way the names will all ways be in the same order when I copy them some where
else.
Can any one help? Thank you in advance .Tommy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You would use VLOOKUP to do this, assuming that your names are in the
left-most column and are unique. The formula would look something
like:

=IF($A1="","",VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet1!A:D,COLUMN(B1),0) )

assuming your name is in A1 of the second sheet, and the data you want
to bring across is in columns B to D next to the names in column A in
Sheet1. Copy the formula across into C1:D1 to bring across the other
items of data, and then copy down as required.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 28, 11:45*pm, tommy wrote:
Hi, what I would like to do is copy and paste from a workbook onto the first
sheet of another work book; the first column (A) has a persons name and the
next seven columns have data in them, my problem is that the names change
order each week so what I would like to do is transfer some of the data from
the first sheet to the next sheet by typing in the name in column A and the
data associated with that name goes into columns B/C/D, automatically. This
way the names will all ways be in the same order when I copy them some where
else.
Can any one help? *Thank you in advance .Tommy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome.

Pete

On Jul 29, 3:03*am, tommy wrote:
Thanks Pete, I'll give it a go.

Sorting data within the same row. aequanimitas Excel Worksheet Functions 1 August 29th 06 06:13 PM
Sorting data to match existing data Jack C Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 May 24th 06 09:48 AM
colors of bar charted data don't follow data after sorting Frankgjr Charts and Charting in Excel 2 January 17th 06 12:33 PM
Sorting data Steve New Users to Excel 4 May 7th 05 10:37 AM
Data Sorting daniel Excel Worksheet Functions 0 November 1st 04 09:48 PM