Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default sorting data

You would use VLOOKUP to do this, assuming that your names are in the
left-most column and are unique. The formula would look something
like:

=IF($A1="","",VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet1!A:D,COLUMN(B1),0) )

assuming your name is in A1 of the second sheet, and the data you want
to bring across is in columns B to D next to the names in column A in
Sheet1. Copy the formula across into C1:D1 to bring across the other
items of data, and then copy down as required.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 28, 11:45*pm, tommy wrote:
Hi, what I would like to do is copy and paste from a workbook onto the first
sheet of another work book; the first column (A) has a persons name and the
next seven columns have data in them, my problem is that the names change
order each week so what I would like to do is transfer some of the data from
the first sheet to the next sheet by typing in the name in column A and the
data associated with that name goes into columns B/C/D, automatically. This
way the names will all ways be in the same order when I copy them some where
else.
Can any one help? *Thank you in advance .Tommy