Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Numbers change when saving as a csv fle

I have an excel spreadsheet with a date field. The date currently shows
1/7/2008. I need all of the dates to show 2009, so I find and replace all
2008s with 2009. I then save the file as csv. When I reopen the file
everything seems fine until I change the date format to show Jan-09 and save
it again as csv. When the file is reopened again not only does the format
change (which isn't my concern) but the year goes back to 2008!!!

I've tried saving to text and then opening in excel but this doesn't make a
difference. Any suggestions or explanations as to why 2009 goes back to 2008?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel sees Jan-09 as January 9 of the current year.

Maybe you can save the field as a real date in an unabiguous format (January 7,
2008).

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I 'THINK' that when you import the csv file to Excel, Excel sees 'Jan-09' and
interprets that as January 09, 2008 (2008 being the current year).
--
Hope this helps.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"juliejg1" wrote:

I have an excel spreadsheet with a date field. The date currently shows
1/7/2008. I need all of the dates to show 2009, so I find and replace all
2008s with 2009. I then save the file as csv. When I reopen the file
everything seems fine until I change the date format to show Jan-09 and save
it again as csv. When the file is reopened again not only does the format
change (which isn't my concern) but the year goes back to 2008!!!

I've tried saving to text and then opening in excel but this doesn't make a
difference. Any suggestions or explanations as to why 2009 goes back to 2008?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unfortunately I have to use this format and the file has to be csv in order
for this to be loaded into our AP system. At least I now know why it does
it. The funny thing is, when I then import this into our system, it shows up
as 2009 but the spreadsheet shows 2008. Weird!!