Laura

Default auto number columns in excel

Is there a way to set up a column of numbers so that it automatically updates
the numbers every time a line is added or deleted?

Laura

I either did not understand the reply given or was not clear in what I am
trying to accomplish. I have a spreadsheet that I am trying to create a
brand new column of numbers that are not related to the automated row numbers
that are part of the excel program. To clarify, my column starts on row
three of the excel sheet, but I need it to start with number one and then
continue on in series. I also need it to automatically update the new row
numbers as rows are added and deleted. Is there a way to do this? Please
help!

.
Use =count(A1:A10) or more rows as required.

If its the last row used - =row(B1) extended down to
maybe B100. Then you can use =large(B1:B100) this will
give you the last row used.
Mal

Bob Phillips

The difficulty may be in what you mean by a row is added, as a spreadsheet
consists of a fixed number of rows, albeit not all necessarily used.

To get the numbers is easy enough, =ROW(A1), and copy down, but to create
when you 'add a row' needs clarification.

--

HTH

RP

" wrote:

Is there a way to set up a column of numbers so that it

automatically updates
the numbers every time a line is added or deleted?
.
Use =count(A1:A10) or more rows as required.

If its the last row used - =row(B1) extended down to
maybe B100. Then you can use =large(B1:B100) this will
give you the last row used.
Mal

Duke Carey

Laura -

This will deal with DELETED rows, but not INSERTED rows. For inserted rows
you'll need to copy the formula into the appropriate cell in the new row.

In the cell where you want the numbers to start enter the number 1 as a
constant. In the next cell down use the formula

=OFFSET(current cell's address,-1,0)+1 (or whatever increment you want to use)

Copy it down as far as needed.

Duke