Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot table sorting

Excel 2003

I have a column of numbers in a pivot table that is a concatenation of 2
columns.

224003
225012
226009
230101
230205
230807
230904
231016
301013

After sorting, stripping out packed zeros and splitting back into 2 columns,
the columns look like this:

224 3
225 12
226 9
2301 1
2302 5
2308 7
2309 4
231 16
301 13

I would like the columns to look like this:

224 3
225 12
226 9
231 16
301 13
2301 1
2302 5
2308 7
2309 4

Is it possible?

TIA
David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use a cheater column that references the first column with something like...
=value(a1)
Then sort on the cheater column.
FYI, Excel 2003+ will ask if you want it sorted as if the text numbers were
real numbers and you wouldn't need a cheater column.
--
Hope this helps.
If this post was helpfull, please remember to click on the ''''YES''''

"Compass Rose" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nothing straight forward to do that. The only thing I can think of off the
top of my head would be to add an extra field into your source data that
returns the number of characters in the numbers to be sorted so your pivot
table looks like this...

3 224 3
3 225 12
3 226 9
3 231 16
3 301 13
3 2301 1
3 2302 5
4 2308 7
4 2309 4

(note the 3's and 4's won't repeat)
Obviously the pivot table will be sorted on the 3's and 4's first and then
on the actual numbers. At the end you can just hide the 3's and 4's column.

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson