Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default PIVOT Table Sorting - PLEASE Help!!!!!

Hi, I'm trying to sort the data within my pivot table. I have changed the
sort flag, but it only sorts the summed totals for the particular data
element. Based on my following example I get sorted summed total, but not
within each data set.
(Retail has highest total & Entertainment is lowest). I also want to sort
the
items within each element (Within retail Orange should be first, apple second
and Bannana third). How can I get it to do a sort within a sort?

Thanks! John

Example of what I'm getting <<<<<<<<<

Retail 10,000
Apple 2,000
Bannana 1,000
Orange 7,000

Gasoline 9,000
Texaco 6,000
Mobil 1,000
Chevon 2,000

Entertainment 5,000
Movies 1,000
Golf 3,000
Bungee Jumping 1,000

Example of what I'd Like to Get <<<<<<<<<

Retail 10,000
Orange 7,000
Apple 2,000
Bannana 1,000

Gasoline 9,000
Texaco 6,000
Chevon 2,000
Mobil 1,000

Entertainment 5,000
Golf 3,000
Movies 1,000
Bungee Jumping 1,000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gary, thanks for the reply. That changed the display, but unfortunately it
only did it for the "category" and "type" labels (i.e the labels associated
with the values are now in decending alpha order). What I'm trying to
accomplish is getting the values associated with the category and type to be
sorted in decending order. When I right click on the "amount" column ("sum
of amount" in the field properties dialog box) an "advanced" button is not
onthe dialog box. Can you please offer some additional help?

Thanks a million!

Gray Brown wrote:

Assumptions:
Retail, Gasoline, etc are in a field called 'Category'.
The next level is called 'Type'.

- Go to your pivot table.
- Right-click on 'Category'
- Select 'Field Settings'
- Select 'Advanced...'
- Select 'Descending'
- Select 'OK'
- Select 'OK'
- Right-click on 'Type'
- repeat above steps

--
HTH,
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful to you, please select ''YES'' at the bottom of the
post.

"John87111" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, John.
I had misunderstood what you were looking for.
The 'Data' area can not be sorted. At least not through Excel 2003. Don't
know about 2007.

--

"John87111" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know how to do this in Excel 2003 either, but it's definitely
included in the field drop-down option (sort by Data Values vs sort by
Labels) in Excel 2007. I'll look when I have a copy of 2003 handy -
add it to the list...

"John87111" wrote:

[...]

Bungee Jumping 1,000- Hide quoted text -