Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
UB UB is offline

Default Getting names data information from another sheet

Hi
I have a master sheet that has names of employees.
I have a 2nd sheet where my calculations are done based on employee
performance.
Is it possbile that on the column "Name of Employee" the information from
the master sheet can be made available as a drop down.
Or please advise, what other options I can have.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the data you want in the dropdown in the master sheet, give it a name
insertnamedefine, then select the cell in the 2nd sheet you want the
dropdown and do datavalidation, under allow select list and type in the
name you gave the employee list in the master sheet.

Peo Sjoblom

"ub" wrote in message
Hi
I have a master sheet that has names of employees.
I have a 2nd sheet where my calculations are done based on employee
performance.
Is it possbile that on the column "Name of Employee" the information from
the master sheet can be made available as a drop down.
Or please advise, what other options I can have.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are just trying to pull an employee across, you can do one of the
following:
NOTE: Assuming Master sheet is titled Master, and employee names are in
column A.

On the master sheet, name column A:A as something unique: i.e.: EmpName
On your second sheet, in the cell you wish to pull the employee name from,
go to Data--Validation, choose List,
and in the Source type: =EmpName

The second suggestion is very similar, in that you don't have to name the
EmpName column, but in the Source field for Data Validation type the
following:
=Indirect("MASTER!A:A")

After either one of these, you can use VLOOKUPS to pull the appropriate data
column from the Master tab

--
John C

"ub" wrote:

Hi
I have a master sheet that has names of employees.
I have a 2nd sheet where my calculations are done based on employee
performance.
Is it possbile that on the column "Name of Employee" the information from
the master sheet can be made available as a drop down.
Or please advise, what other options I can have.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
UB UB is offline

Hi Thanks for your reply
But when I select DataValidation, under allow I select List the only option
available is "Source". Please advise where do I have to type in the name the
gave to employee list

"ub" wrote in message
Hi
I have a master sheet that has names of employees.
I have a 2nd sheet where my calculations are done based on employee
performance.
Is it possbile that on the column "Name of Employee" the information from
the master sheet can be made available as a drop down.
Or please advise, what other options I can have.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, in the source box you should type in the name of the list like this

=MyName

I should have remembered to add that you need an equal sign, sorry about
that

Peo Sjoblom