Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need help in date format

In my spreadsheet I have date like "20080428" which I want to convert to
04/28/08 or any regular date. Can I able to do it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have a single column of these "dates", you can select that column.
Data|Text to columns
fixed width (but remove any lines excel guesses)
choose Date (YMD)
and finish the wizard

Then format the cells the way you like.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Convert? Do you mean to physically change it, within the same cell, to a
real date? You could use a helper column and put this formula...

=--TEXT(A1,"0000-00-00")

adjacent to the top cell with your 8-digit numbers in them (adjust the A1 to
match the actual cell address) and copy it down. Then select the entries in
the helper column and Edit/Copy them, select the top cell with your 8-digit
number in it and click Edit/PasteSpecial, select Values and hit Okay, then
delete the values in the helper column.

Rick

"mzaman1952" wrote in message
In my spreadsheet I have date like "20080428" which I want to convert to
04/28/08 or any regular date. Can I able to do it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's not working. This date column (more than 8,000 dates) are in text format
as for example :

Column A Column B Column C
20080428
20080531
20080423
and so on

Column B to Column F are dollar and other Text. Since I want to reconcile
the spreadsheet by month I need to change Column A to date format.
If you can pl help me.

Thanks.

mzaman1952

mzaman1952 wrote:

In my spreadsheet I have date like "20080428" which I want to convert to
04/28/08 or any regular date. Can I able to do it?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What happened when you tried it?

Are you sure that column A contained just those 8 numeric characters?
=len(a1) would help prove it.

You may want to try it again. It's worked for lots of people.