Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KO KO is offline

Default Letter = Number

When I type in certain letters, I need them to be displayed as certain
numbers, i.e., MJ = 01, HS = 02, SE = 03, etc. I'm not very good with
formulas, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"KO" wrote:

When I type in certain letters, I need them to be displayed as certain
numbers, i.e., MJ = 01, HS = 02, SE = 03, etc. I'm not very good with
formulas, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

One way, custom format the range as 00 and use AutoReplace, Replace MJ with
1 et al.

Regards
Peter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You could use auto Correct

Tools|Auto Correct Options

Create an Option to change MJ to 01 etc
Format the cells with a custom format of 00

Mike

"KO" wrote:

When I type in certain letters, I need them to be displayed as certain
numbers, i.e., MJ = 01, HS = 02, SE = 03, etc. I'm not very good with
formulas, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are the letters you are typing in **always** two characters long? If not,
what is the longest number of characters you can type in? Are the numbers to
be returned **always** sequential listed (that is, could there ever be
gaps... 01,02,05,06,etc. for example)? Finally, what is the largest number
that will be returned?

Rick

"KO" wrote in message
When I type in certain letters, I need them to be displayed as certain
numbers, i.e., MJ = 01, HS = 02, SE = 03, etc. I'm not very good with
formulas, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KO KO is offline

Yes, the letters are always two characters long.
No, the numbers are not always sequential, there are gaps.
The largest number so far is 25, I don't think I'll ever have number larger
than 99. Thank you.

"KO" wrote in message
When I type in certain letters, I need them to be displayed as certain
numbers, i.e., MJ = 01, HS = 02, SE = 03, etc. I'm not very good with
formulas, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you set up Autocorrect to change, e.g.: 02 to HS, , it will change such character
sequences typed elsewhere, including in other Office apps (Word, etc.).

If you number format the cells (Format - Cells - Number - Custom):

[=1]"MJ";[=2]"HS";General (you fill in the rest),

it will display MJ for 01, but also for 1, 001, etc.

Or it could be done with a macro which would change your 01 to MJ as soon as you typed it
and pressed Enter.

--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"KO" wrote:

When I type in certain letters, I need them to be displayed as certain
numbers, i.e., MJ = 01, HS = 02, SE = 03, etc. I'm not very good with
formulas, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KO KO is offline

Oh, I didn't realize you couldn't make it specific to certain columns.
I've tried the number format cells you suggested, but can't get it to work
correctly. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
If I do a macro, would it change in all cells or just in certain cells.
Sorry, I'm not very good at this.
Thanks.

"KO" wrote:

When I type in certain letters, I need them to be displayed as certain
numbers, i.e., MJ = 01, HS = 02, SE = 03, etc. I'm not very good with
formulas, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

KO,

Select your column(s), the Format - Cells - Number - Custom. In the "Type" box, type or
copy/paste the codes I gave you.

[=1]"MJ";[=2]"HS";General
Press Enter

This will work only for entering 1 or 2. When you get it working, you can add more sections
for 3, 4, etc, just like the ones for 1 and 2 that I gave you.

As for the macro, it could be set up to change the user's entry only for certain cells
(columns, etc.). You'll have to learn how to put a macro into a workbook. Then we can give
you the macro.