Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do i set up a list that sorts as Number/letter/number in orde

Hi, I am trying to make a list of numbers which will automatically sort in a
number/letter/number format.
IE; 1A1;
1A2;
2A1;
2A3;
2X9;
3A1;
69A50001;
70A7;
etc, etc.
Any help appreciated.
Mike.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the same number of digits for each number portion:

01A00001
01A00002
02A00001
02A00003
02X00009
03A00001
69A50001
70A00007

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do i set up a list that sorts as Number/letter/number in o

Dave, thanks for response, imagine each number is a part number with a
description. ie, Part number - descripion - location - stock
103h23151 - flywheel - Bin 1 - 22
104B12354 - chain - Bin 17 - 01

I would now like to add another item to the stocklist eg 103J23150 which I
would like to be automatically be sorted to the second position in the list,
whilst carrying its description, location etc. with it. How could this be
achieved?

Mike.

xorex wrote:

Hi, I am trying to make a list of numbers which will automatically sort in a
number/letter/number format.
IE; 1A1;
1A2;
2A1;
2A3;
2X9;
3A1;
69A50001;
70A7;
etc, etc.
Any help appreciated.
Mike.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Personally, I don't like things happening too automatic. I'd rather do
something when I was ready.

(A typo and an automatic sort may mean that I may have a difficult time finding
the new part number. If I put in the part number and it sorts automatically,
then I'd have to scroll down/up to enter the rest of the data????)

With xl2003, you can apply data|filter|autofilter and use the dropdown arrow and
choose to sort by that field.

If you don't want that, here's a link that puts invisible rectangles over the
headers. You just click on that invisible rectangle to sort your data by that
field:

http://contextures.com/xlSort02.html
from Debra Dalgleish's site