Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

Default Letter = Number

If you set up Autocorrect to change, e.g.: 02 to HS, , it will change such character
sequences typed elsewhere, including in other Office apps (Word, etc.).

If you number format the cells (Format - Cells - Number - Custom):

[=1]"MJ";[=2]"HS";General (you fill in the rest),

it will display MJ for 01, but also for 1, 001, etc.

Or it could be done with a macro which would change your 01 to MJ as soon as you typed it
and pressed Enter.

--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Mike H" wrote in message

You could use auto Correct

Tools|Auto Correct Options

Create an Option to change MJ to 01 etc
Format the cells with a custom format of 00

Mike

"KO" wrote:

When I type in certain letters, I need them to be displayed as certain
numbers, i.e., MJ = 01, HS = 02, SE = 03, etc. I'm not very good with
formulas, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)