Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default beginner question re =PROPER(A1) command

I have a list of names and addresses in columns and have used the
=PROPER(A1) command to change the allcaps columns to be correctly
capitalised words .
Question is how can I just remove the columns which are allcaps and just be
left with the correctly capitalised ones?
Using the formula above, of course I cannot delete them as the formula is
dependant on the existence of the original.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Before delete -- Copy and paste special values. delete de column

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"-keevill-" escreveu:

I have a list of names and addresses in columns and have used the
=PROPER(A1) command to change the allcaps columns to be correctly
capitalised words .
Question is how can I just remove the columns which are allcaps and just be
left with the correctly capitalised ones?
Using the formula above, of course I cannot delete them as the formula is
dependant on the existence of the original.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With
A1:A10 containing text
B1:B10 containing your PROPER formulas

Try this:

Select the range of PROPER formulas (B1:B10)

From the Excel Main Menu:
<edit<copy
Select the first text value (A1)
<edit<paste special....Check: Values......Click [OK]
(now the formulas have been converted to their text values)

Then you can either delete the column with the PROPER formulas
or just erase those cells.

Does that help?
Post back if you have more questions.

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"-keevill-" wrote in message
I have a list of names and addresses in columns and have used the
=PROPER(A1) command to change the allcaps columns to be correctly
capitalised words .
Question is how can I just remove the columns which are allcaps and just
be left with the correctly capitalised ones?
Using the formula above, of course I cannot delete them as the formula is
dependant on the existence of the original.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Marcelo" wrote in message
Before delete -- Copy and paste special values. delete de column

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Marcelo

That just gives me the item in the first cell corrected all the way down the
sheet - same name.
something I am missing surely - I'm sorry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
With
A1:A10 containing text
B1:B10 containing your PROPER formulas

Try this:

Select the range of PROPER formulas (B1:B10)

From the Excel Main Menu:
<edit<copy
Select the first text value (A1)
<edit<paste special....Check: Values......Click [OK]
(now the formulas have been converted to their text values)

Then you can either delete the column with the PROPER formulas
or just erase those cells.

Does that help?
Post back if you have more questions.

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP - Excel

perfect !
What a dope I am .
Thanks !
-keevill-

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy the range of cells containing the result of your formula.
Edit Paste Special/ Values.
That replaces the formula by its result, so that you can delete the original
column if you wish to do so.
--
David Biddulph