Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Transferring data from column to another without VLOOKUP

Ok, so this is going to be a bit difficult to explain, AND I'm a newbie to
functions.

I've got one spreadsheet with an array of data that looks like this.

spreadsheet A

CL 45,000
CH 300
DE 8,884

As you can guess, the letters are in one column and the numbers in another.

spreadsheet B

BB 0
BZ 0
CL 0
CM 0
CN 0
DA 0
DE 0

So what I would like to do is copy the info from spreadsheet A to
spreadsheet B. I know that VLOOKUP can do this for me but generates an error
in spreadsheet B for every letter code that isn't in spreadsheet A. I'm
trying to avoid this and have the number values appear for letter codes in
spreadsheet B that are in spreadsheet A and a 0 for letter codes that aren't
in spreadsheet A.

Can anybody help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi GP6,
You can still use the VLOOKUP function. You just have to include an error
trap.
For example:
IF(ISERROR(Your VLOOKUP formula),0,Your Lookup Formula)
This will result in 0 (zero) if the VLOOKUP wants to return an error.
If the VLOOKUP result is ok, then its result is displayed.
Regards - Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"goodpunk6" wrote:

Anyway to make this more "click friendly?"

Huh?

Dave.