Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Converting numbers

I have a spreadheet full of dates (ex:1/4/2003). i want only the month
portion to show in a different cell. The trouble is that the month portion is
to be shown as text (January - 1 is the month). I have managed to convert the
1 into January by using the Format-Cells command, but when I drag down to
fill the other cells, they are all filled in as January, whereas the dates go
through 12. How can I manage this? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With your date in A1, this will display a three-letter representation of the
month.
=text(A1,"mmm")

If you want the full month name:
=text(A1,"mmmm")

HTH,
Paul

--

"maltagirl" wrote in message
I have a spreadheet full of dates (ex:1/4/2003). i want only the month
portion to show in a different cell. The trouble is that the month portion
is
to be shown as text (January - 1 is the month). I have managed to convert
the
1 into January by using the Format-Cells command, but when I drag down to
fill the other cells, they are all filled in as January, whereas the dates
go
through 12. How can I manage this? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

With your dates in column A, B1 could be
=A1
FormatCellsNumberCustommmmm
Then copy down as far as required

Alternatively, in B1
=TEXT(A1,"mmmm")
and copy down as far as required.

If the values do not alter, then check whether Calculation is set to
Automatic
ToolsOptionsCalculationAutomatic
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"maltagirl" wrote in message
I have a spreadheet full of dates (ex:1/4/2003). i want only the month
portion to show in a different cell. The trouble is that the month portion
is
to be shown as text (January - 1 is the month). I have managed to convert
the
1 into January by using the Format-Cells command, but when I drag down to
fill the other cells, they are all filled in as January, whereas the dates
go
through 12. How can I manage this? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

It's probably simpler than you think. Say your dates are in Colmn A put this
in B1
=A1
Format the Cell with a custom format of mmm
Drag down

Mike

"maltagirl" wrote:

I have a spreadheet full of dates (ex:1/4/2003). i want only the month
portion to show in a different cell. The trouble is that the month portion is
to be shown as text (January - 1 is the month). I have managed to convert the
1 into January by using the Format-Cells command, but when I drag down to
fill the other cells, they are all filled in as January, whereas the dates go
through 12. How can I manage this? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One other note.

When you fill-down or copy the formula to other cells, you may need to
recalculate by hitting F9.

Regards,
Paul

--

"maltagirl" wrote in message
I have a spreadheet full of dates (ex:1/4/2003). i want only the month
portion to show in a different cell. The trouble is that the month
portion is
to be shown as text (January - 1 is the month). I have managed to convert
the
1 into January by using the Format-Cells command, but when I drag down to
fill the other cells, they are all filled in as January, whereas the
dates go
through 12. How can I manage this? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 29 May 2008 09:43:00 -0700, maltagirl
wrote:

I have a spreadheet full of dates (ex:1/4/2003). i want only the month
portion to show in a different cell. The trouble is that the month portion is
to be shown as text (January - 1 is the month). I have managed to convert the
1 into January by using the Format-Cells command, but when I drag down to
fill the other cells, they are all filled in as January, whereas the dates go
through 12. How can I manage this? Thanks.

You are probably using the MONTH worksheet function.

DON'T

Example:

A1: enter your full date
B1: =A1