Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to sum the last 7 number in a row?

This probably has an easy solution but I just cant figure it out. I have
search this discussion board but cant find anything.
Anyways I was wondering if there is a formula that sums the last 7 entries I
entered in the row.

An example would be.
D5 E5 F5 G5 H5 I5 J5 K5 L5 M5 N5 O5
2 5 1 3 5 1 0 2 4 2
D5 is where I want the sum of the last 7 numbers. and everyday I would add a
number at the back and do not want to change the range everytime I do so. is
there a way to make D5 return the last 7 numbers I have entered in the row
and will readjust everytime I add another number?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have a help cell - perhaps D3
=COUNT(E5:IV5)

and in cell D5
=SUM(INDIRECT("R5C"&MAX(5,D3-2)&":R5C"&D3+5,FALSE))

You may need to play with this one to make sure you know what it is doing....
--
Wag more, bark less

"Learning excel" wrote:

This probably has an easy solution but I just cant figure it out. I have
search this discussion board but cant find anything.
Anyways I was wondering if there is a formula that sums the last 7 entries I
entered in the row.

An example would be.
D5 E5 F5 G5 H5 I5 J5 K5 L5 M5 N5 O5
2 5 1 3 5 1 0 2 4 2
D5 is where I want the sum of the last 7 numbers. and everyday I would add a
number at the back and do not want to change the range everytime I do so. is
there a way to make D5 return the last 7 numbers I have entered in the row
and will readjust everytime I add another number?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=SUM(OFFSET(E5,,COUNT(E5:IV5)-1,,-7))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Learning excel" wrote in message
yes there will always be at least 7 numbers

"T. Valko" wrote:

Will there always be at least 7 numbers to sum? What should happen if
there
isn't at least 7 numbers to sum?

--
Biff