Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Drop down and cell values

I have created a worksheet with an limited array of text values in the cells
and set up a sequence of COUNTIF formula in an adjoining part of the sheet to
count the occurrences of the particular text values which works well.
However, when I change the text input cells to dropdowns sourced from a
list/range in another part of the sheet the COUNTIF formulae cease to work
and merely give me a value of zero.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe your list is different from what's found in the range???

Any extra (leading/trailing/embedded) spaces?

How about those HTML non-breaking spaces???

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On the worksheet I have a list at O2:O17 with a name for the list at O1. The
entire list has 16 text values as follows : AOCD, CM, CON, DOS, GG, JC, JD,
MH, MW, NM, PD, RK, SOC, TM, TMC, YM.
I have a column of input cells at D24:D40, for instance, each cell has a
dropdown arrow option. For each of these cells the Data Validation window has
"List" in the Allow slot and "=$O$2:$O$17" in the Source slot.
Column K24:K40, for instance, shows the COUNTIF results for the column D
values.
If I select one of the cells in column K, the formula bar shows
"=COUNTIF(D24:D40, "GG") for instance. This looks correct, but the cell is
showing a value zero when, in fact, there are 4 instances of "GG" value in
column D.
I initially set out the above arrangement on another sheet in the same
workbook, but without the dropdown facility in the input cells, and it worked
correctly.