Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Named Ranges Disappearing in Excel 2007

I have had a problem with names disappearing in Excel 2007.
Oddly enough it appears that the same names disappear each time. For a
while we thought we had the problem fixed and the problem went away for a
week but now it is back. We have thourougly investigated the possibilty that
it
is a scope and/or visibilty issue, and we are certain that it is not!
Anyone have any ideas about this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What were the names? If they resemble a cell address, Excel will not accept
them. 'ABC123' was an allowed name in 2003, but not in 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Mike H." wrote in message
I have had a problem with names disappearing in Excel 2007.
Oddly enough it appears that the same names disappear each time. For a
while we thought we had the problem fixed and the problem went away for a
week but now it is back. We have thourougly investigated the possibilty
that
it
is a scope and/or visibilty issue, and we are certain that it is not!
Anyone have any ideas about this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I converted the .xls file to .xlsm, I had to change a couple named
ranges. The current named ranges that "drop off" are long descriptive names
like "FirstInputInfo" or "ProcessingOn" or things like that. The same ones
seem to "drop off" from time-to-time also. I have read of others having this
problem but no one has offered a solution. I don't know how to report it to
Microsoft either.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are the names converted to hidden names? Get Jan Karel's Name Manager to
help you work with names:

http://jkp-ads.com

- Jon
-------

"Mike H." wrote in message
When I converted the .xls file to .xlsm, I had to change a couple named
ranges. The current named ranges that "drop off" are long descriptive
names
like "FirstInputInfo" or "ProcessingOn" or things like that. The same
ones
seem to "drop off" from time-to-time also. I have read of others having
this
problem but no one has offered a solution. I don't know how to report it
Microsoft either.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, they are not hidden. The named ranges are utilized for a while and then
just disappear later. No rhyme or reason to how long before one will
disappear. And often it is the same one that "disappears" from time to time.

"Mike H." wrote in message
When I converted the .xls file to .xlsm, I had to change a couple named
ranges. The current named ranges that "drop off" are long descriptive
names
like "FirstInputInfo" or "ProcessingOn" or things like that. The same
ones
seem to "drop off" from time-to-time also. I have read of others having
this
problem but no one has offered a solution. I don't know how to report it
Microsoft either.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Does a missing name ever reappear later? Does the name itself disappear, or
does the range it refers to disappear (i.e., it is deleted) leaving behind
#REF! errors?

- Jon
-------

"Mike H." wrote in message
When I converted the .xls file to .xlsm, I had to change a couple named
ranges. The current named ranges that "drop off" are long descriptive
names
like "FirstInputInfo" or "ProcessingOn" or things like that. The same
ones
seem to "drop off" from time-to-time also. I have read of others
having
this
problem but no one has offered a solution. I don't know how to report
it
Microsoft either.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know if it reappears because a user will get an error message and I
have to immediately re-insert the named range in order for the macro to run.
The cells remain and the "title" to the left of the cells and the data in the
cell that represented the named range all remain. Instead of the cell being
a named range, it is now just a cell, so to speak.