Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rob Rob is offline

Default Matching Three columns and returning a value

I have a Spreadsheet with two sheets.
Sheet 1 has the following data in columns
Forname Surname Birth Place Nationality
Alan Jones Liverpool
Allan Jones Cardiff
David Ellis Manchester
David Ellis Leeds
Clive Newman London
Sarah Roberts Cardiff

Sheet 2 has the following
Surname Forename Birthplace Nationality Forename Birthplace
Natioanlity
Jones Alan Liverpool English Allan
Cardiff Welsh
Ellis David Manchester English David
Leeds English

etc

How can I insert in sheet 1 the nationality where all three varialble must
match
i.e. Alan Jones Liverpool = Jones Alan Liverpool and returns the text
English in Sheet 1
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could insert a new column D in Sheet2 and fill it with this
formula:

=A2&B2&C2

and copy this down. Similarly, insert a new column H and put this
formula in H2:

=A2&F2&G2

and copy this down. Then in Sheet1 D2 you can put this formula:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B2&A2&C2,Sheet2!D:E,
2,0)),IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B2&A2&C2,Sheet2!H:I,2,0)),"n ot
present",VLOOKUP(B2&A2&C2,Sheet2!H:I,2,0)),VLOOKUP (B2&A2&C2,Sheet2!D:E,
2,0))

Copy this down as required.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 28, 1:33*pm, Rob wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Saved from a previous post:

If you want exact matches for just two columns (and return a value from a
third), you could use:

=index(othersheet!$c$1:$c$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100),0))

(all in one cell)

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can only use the whole column in xl2007.

This returns the value in othersheet column C when column A and B (of
othersheet) match A2 and B2 of the sheet with the formula.

And you can add more conditions by just adding more stuff to that product
portion of the formula:

=index(othersheet!$d$1:$d$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100)
*(c2=othersheet!$c$1:$c$100),0))

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rob Rob is offline

Thank you tried this and it worked

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rob Rob is offline

Thank you tried this one and it worked

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete