Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Matching & Returning values

Hi

I have the following data
A B C D E
1 1/2/08 Pen $2.00 MK Stationery
2 3/6/08 coffee $5.00 FD Supplies
3 3/4/08 taxi $5.90 FF transport
4 5/7/08 tea $6.90 FD Supplies
I want to be able to look up E col and where the value 'supplies' has
been selected from the drop down menu return the date that appears in
column A.

many thanks!

Debbie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Matching & Returning values (one more condition!)

On Mar 6, 11:55*am, DebbieV wrote:
Hi

I have the following data
* * * * A * * * B * * * * C * * * *D * *E
1 * * * 1/2/08 * * * Pen * * * * * $2.00 * * * *MK * * *Stationery
2 * * * 3/6/08 *coffee *$5.00 * FD * * *Supplies
3 * * * 3/4/08 *taxi * *$5.90 * FF * * *transport
4 * * * 5/7/08 * * * tea * * * * * *$6.90 * * * FD * * * * * *Supplies
I want to be able to look up E col and where the value 'supplies' has
been selected from the drop down menu return the date that appears in
column A.

Plus - I then want to return the dollar amount that corresponds to the
date & 'supplies'.

many thanks!

Debbie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi DebbieV
From what I can see you would need VLOOKUP but not sure if I understand.
Check this site, you will see information on VLOOKUP and other info (Very
good Site with Sample files )
Regards
Cimjet

http://www.contextures.com/xlOrderForm01.html
"DebbieV" wrote in message
On Mar 6, 11:55 am, DebbieV wrote:
Hi

I have the following data
A B C D E
1 1/2/08 Pen $2.00 MK Stationery
2 3/6/08 coffee $5.00 FD Supplies
3 3/4/08 taxi $5.90 FF transport
4 5/7/08 tea $6.90 FD Supplies
I want to be able to look up E col and where the value 'supplies' has
been selected from the drop down menu return the date that appears in
column A.

Plus - I then want to return the dollar amount that corresponds to the
date & 'supplies'.

many thanks!

Debbie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

From the sounds of it, you're trying to "filter" lines over from another
sheet
Here's a simple formulas play based on your sample data,
illustrated in this sample:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3d5le
Filtering from another sheet.xls

Source data is assumed in sheet: x, cols A to E, from row1 down
In another sheet: y,
items in x's col E eg: Supplies, Transport, etc are selected from a droplist
in A1
In C1:
=IF(x!E1="","",IF(x!E1=$A$1,ROW(),""))
In D1:
=IF(ROW()COUNT($C:$C),"",INDEX(x!A:A,SMALL($C:$C, ROW())))
Copy D1 to G1. Select C1:G1, fill down to cover the max expected extent of
data in x
Lines will be "filtered" over from x depending on the item selected in A1's
droplist.
--
Max
Singapore