Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Showing "0.00" for formula results

I have a feeling that this is a simple thing...yet I have spent too much time
already trying to figure out this "simple" thing.

I have a simple purchase order document set up in Excel 2007. I have a
formula in the total cost column that essentially multiples the quantity by
the unit cost. I would like the total cost cell for each item to appear
blank (yet not remove the formula) if there is nothing entered into the cell
for that particular row; however, now, if there is no quantity or unit price
entered, the result shows as "0.00." How do I change that view...I can't get
those zeros to disappear without deleting the formula as well.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say unit cost in Column D, and quantity in Column E, try something like
this:

=If(Or(D2="",E2=""),"",D2*E2)
--
HTH,

RD

"kate_suzanne" wrote in message
I have a feeling that this is a simple thing...yet I have spent too much
time
already trying to figure out this "simple" thing.

I have a simple purchase order document set up in Excel 2007. I have a
formula in the total cost column that essentially multiples the quantity
by
the unit cost. I would like the total cost cell for each item to appear
blank (yet not remove the formula) if there is nothing entered into the
cell
for that particular row; however, now, if there is no quantity or unit
price
entered, the result shows as "0.00." How do I change that view...I can't
get
those zeros to disappear without deleting the formula as well.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
try this.
=if(unitcost*quanty = 0,"",unitcost*quantity)

if the formula results in 0, the cell will appear blank but will show the
results if there is a quantity and unit cost.

Regards
FSt1

"kate_suzanne" wrote:

I have a feeling that this is a simple thing...yet I have spent too much time
already trying to figure out this "simple" thing.

I have a simple purchase order document set up in Excel 2007. I have a
formula in the total cost column that essentially multiples the quantity by
the unit cost. I would like the total cost cell for each item to appear
blank (yet not remove the formula) if there is nothing entered into the cell
for that particular row; however, now, if there is no quantity or unit price
entered, the result shows as "0.00." How do I change that view...I can't get
those zeros to disappear without deleting the formula as well.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try something like this....

Test the quantity cell to make sure there is in fact an entry. If no
quantity is entered leave the total cost cell blank:

=IF(COUNT(A1),A1*B1,"")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"kate_suzanne" wrote in message
I have a feeling that this is a simple thing...yet I have spent too much
time
already trying to figure out this "simple" thing.

I have a simple purchase order document set up in Excel 2007. I have a
formula in the total cost column that essentially multiples the quantity
by
the unit cost. I would like the total cost cell for each item to appear
blank (yet not remove the formula) if there is nothing entered into the
cell
for that particular row; however, now, if there is no quantity or unit
price
entered, the result shows as "0.00." How do I change that view...I can't
get
those zeros to disappear without deleting the formula as well.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you could modify the formula:

If you have to have column A and column B in your calculations, you could use:

=if(or(a1="",b1=""),"",a1+b1)
(for instance)

(If either is blank, then show blank. Else do the add.

kate_suzanne wrote:

I have a feeling that this is a simple thing...yet I have spent too much time
already trying to figure out this "simple" thing.

I have a simple purchase order document set up in Excel 2007. I have a
formula in the total cost column that essentially multiples the quantity by
the unit cost. I would like the total cost cell for each item to appear
blank (yet not remove the formula) if there is nothing entered into the cell
for that particular row; however, now, if there is no quantity or unit price
entered, the result shows as "0.00." How do I change that view...I can't get
those zeros to disappear without deleting the formula as well.

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson