Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Default Keeping program open even when closing workbook

I recently made some modifications to the workbook template that Excel opens
when I start the program. Prior to making these modifications, Excel would
remain open even if I closed all workbooks I had open, whether it was one or
ten, now the program closes if I have a single workbook open and I close it.
I have no idea what I did to make this happen and I'd like to know what I
need to do get back so it was before I made the changes.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob

You cannot modify the default Excel workbook.

You have to create a new Template entirely separate from the Excel default.

Is that what you have done?

Which "X" are you clicking to close the active workbook? The workbook window
"X" or the Application window "X"?

If you go to FileClose does the Application close all workbooks?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:51:02 -0700, Bob wrote:

I recently made some modifications to the workbook template that Excel opens
when I start the program. Prior to making these modifications, Excel would
remain open even if I closed all workbooks I had open, whether it was one or
ten, now the program closes if I have a single workbook open and I close it.
I have no idea what I did to make this happen and I'd like to know what I
need to do get back so it was before I made the changes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

When you say "cannot modify" does that mean "cannot" or do you mean
"shouldn't"?

I was under the impression that I modified the default template. I went
into the Xlstart directory folder and modified the file that was located
there.

The "X" in the workbook not the application.

If I do FileClose with a single workbook open, the application closes
entirely.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I mean you "cannot" modify the Excel default workbook

Sounds like you modified the right Template.......Book.xlt which someone else
had already built...................my mis-interpretation of your words.

If you go to FileNew...Blank Workbook you will get the Excel default
workbook.......unmodified.

The workbook that you found in the XLSTART folder is a user-created Template
that serves as the default workbook when you hit FileNew or New File Icon or
CTRL + n.

Aside from that, I have no idea why Excel application would close when you close
a single workbook either by itself or one of many

How about FileClose?

How about CTRL + w?

Either of those close Excel when workbook closes?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP